12.10.2015

Home Tour - Living room reveal

If  you follow me on Instagram, you may have already seen little sneak peaks of our living room décor project and although all the painting, decorating and purchasing of the “big items of furniture” are done, there are a few smaller pieces that I'm yet to fall in love with and purchase.




Let's start with the wallpaper. It's from the Next Geo range and although I fell in love with the pattern from the moment I saw it for the first time, the quality of the paper itself leaves a lot to be desired. Several rolls had what looked like dirty marks that resulted in a lot of wastage. It was pure luck that I ordered more rolls than I needed otherwise we would have found ourselves not able to finished the job until new rolls where ordered and delivered! Crazy right?


For the walls, we used Valspar paint for the first time (I'm a hardcore fan of Dulux Endurance as they clean up really well) but I found Valspar to be equally good. They are sold in B&Q  but I'm not sure whether you can also find them somewhere else.
Colour-wise, we went for a light grey with a warm undertone to complement the vast amount of dark walnut furniture we have - I'm hoping to change this for lighter furniture... one day... maybe-.


The sofa and armchairs are also from Next and contrary to our experience with the wallpaper; I'm more than happy with them. When our girlie was a baby we had one of those feared sicky accidents on the sofa - the ones that seems to happen in slow motion but you can't quite prevent. We ended up taking the cover off one of the bottom cushions of the main sofa and washed it in the washing machine. No shrinking and no change in the colour/ texture of the fabric. A sofa that survives that sort of test, gets a 10 from me!


This part of the living room is screaming for some wall art, don't you think? I have two big black frames from Ikea that would be just perfection above the sofa but I'm yet to find prints that would fit them and that we love. Any suggestions?


For that corner of the room where the temporary banana fibre rocking chair is, I'd like to have a small desk or even a ladder (also called leaning) desk where we can keep our laptop and do all the house admin stuff.  I don't know about you but I find the job of finding the right decor pieces very time consuming. By the way, have you heard about LionsHome? They are an on-line portal for furniture and home accessories. It sounds exactly like what I need right now! :)


I'm also in the search for a new table and floor lamp for that corner opposite to the door you can see in the photo below. Something that will match the style of the current ceiling light. My shopping list is getting bigger and bigger as I write this post and take a closer and  more analytical look at the photographs.


And to finish off on a high note, I'll leave you with a picture of my little cheeky monkey who particularly enjoys running around mummy while she takes pictures for the blog.


Home Etc
Linking up to Life with Munchers

38 comments

  1. I love the wallpaper and I have a thing about grey at the moment. It's surprising how many colours actually goes with it.You can't go wrong with Next they always have lovely things in. Your living room is beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your home. It is absolutely gorgeous and simple..just like i dream of! One day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, the room looks lovely. DO you mind me asking what the name of the Valspar colour is as it's exactly what I've been looking for!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there, the paint is Valspar "Mink Frost" :) Good luck with your decorating!

      Delete
  4. What a beautiful home, I love the Next furniture although such a shame about the wallpaper. I think the art really helps add such a personal touch too, so I hope you find something which you love for those frames.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Funnily we had issues with Next wallpaper as well although sometime ago. Love the soft and chairs though! Have you considered photos in the frames instead of pictures? At least temporarily, your daughter is a cutie and I'm sure the would look stunning? Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Using photgraphs it's definitely a possibility; the only problem is to decide which of the hundreds I took every day to use! :)

      Delete
  6. Awww what a cutie your baby is, you have such a beautiful home. Loving the decor big time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your room is stunning. I love the clean cut & modern look. The light switches are really fab too! So unique. Well done hun! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny a few people commented on the light switches as the photo was more for showing the paint colour than anything else lol :)

      Delete
  8. I love the minimalist aesthetic of your room. I have to say I was happily admiring your geometric wallpaper too I do love abstract art.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your living room, it's gorgeous! I am envious as we are in a rented house so we're very limited. Shame you had issues with the wallpaper, it is gorgeous though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The wallpaper is stunning, looks almost material like. It's a shame that the quality wasn't what you were expecting but the finished result is beautiful x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your living room looks beautiful, I absolutely love the wallpaper. It is lovely to find your blog, you definitely have my kind of style. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks lovely! That's exactly what I thought when I came across your blog ;) x

      Delete
  12. I love the colour in here and the sofa is to die for! Thanks for linking up #bloggerhomes

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow what a lovely bright room, I love the wallpaper shame it caused so much hassle, you really do need some great Art up on that wall, do you have ideas of what you like ???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have two big black Ikea picture frames and I'm hoping to find some black and white prints to go with them. Maybe some nice photos of my cutie :)

      Delete
  14. Your living room looks fab! Really bright and airy, but still cosy enough :) I used to really love dark wood, but my in laws are OBSESSED with oak and actually I'm now beginning to like it in all rooms. I think it would go really well with those doors too! #bloggerhomes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I Love oak and white furniture as well. I'm hoping to slowly but surely start replacing all my furniture (hubby permiting ;) )

      Delete
  15. We've never been brave enough to add wallpaper to a room, instead opting for paint. I love your paper choice, bold without being over powering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the first house in which we have put wallpaper up. It was hard to make the decision because being a newly built house, the walls are in perfect condition and I always worry that whenever I get bored and decide to change it, I'm going to ruin them in the process but hey! I'll cross that bridge when the time comes... maybe next year? ;)

      Delete
  16. Ah that wallpaper looks gorgeous, what a shame you were disappointed in the quality. I've been looking for something similar, but I will look elsewhere! Have you checked out Wayfair for lamps? They have loads! Becky x #bloggershomes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I love Wayfair but it's usually off my budget tee hee. I have my eyes on some cool ones from Habitat ;)

      Delete
  17. I love that wallpaper! The chairs and sofa are gorgeous too x #bloggershomes

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a lovely open space and great wallpaper. Maybe it was a rouge batch and you could have had it replaced? Must have been eager to have it up and looking great though so I don't blame you for not bothering to take it back etc. Fab chic room x

    Alina from

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your room looks beautiful. I love your sofas and it's always great to discover that the covers can withstand washing without shrinking. We've just used valspar paint for the first time and are very impressed by it #homeetc

    ReplyDelete
  20. WOW! That wallpaper is gorgeous and I love it so much. The combination of colours works so well. LOVE a velvet sofa too. Your hard work was so worth it xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh I LOVE the wallpaper it is just gorgeous, so stylish. I bet you are so thrilled with the result it looks so great x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow! I love you new living room, it looks so stylish and the colours are so calming. Fab! In terms of the artwork have you ever come across Tabitha Mary's iconic travel style prints? I think they'd look fab in the wallspace above your sofas - here's the link: http://www.tabithamary.co.uk #HomeEtc

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful living room. I really like the wallpaper and glad you bought extra. I dream of a clean and room not filled with toys. I love your Little One running around. Keeps life interesting. #HomeEtc

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love that wallpaper - the colour combo is so perfect! Disappointing to hear about the quality issues though - you did well to overorder!

    I love Society 6 for buying prints online - they're cheap and have a great selection! I just get them framed at our local framers and they look great! #HomeEtc

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh I absolutely love it. That wallpaper especially (even though I'm a bit put off by the quality from your experience). You're the second post in this little linky today where I have been utterly smitten by a wallpaper, and I think I might actually bite the bullet, and be brave enough to take the plunge for myself too now. Thank you so much for being inspiring! Steph xxx #HomeEtc

    ReplyDelete
  26. Utterly lovely. I love your style and taste. The wallpaper really gives the room style and I love the pattern. Great space and perfect for your family :) Thanks for linking up lovely, much appreciated! Jess xxx

    #HomeEtc

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh stop it!!! WHERE's all the clutter?? I can't believe that you really live in a such a tidy uncluttered house?? Do you??! ;) LOVE it! I wish that our house had the same zen like feel! I need a good sort out after reading this :) Hope to see you tomorrow from 6am on #HomeEtc

    ReplyDelete

© life in eightMaira Gall