10.19.2015

Christmas Decor Ideas on a budget Series - No1


I know it's mid October and there is this implicit rule that no-one should mention the "C" word (Christmas that is ;o) at least until Halloween is over, but I'm a rebel at heart so I'm going to totally ignore it. 



This year I'm looking to change my multicolor Christmas decor palette you've seen before in the Eight household. Hubby is finding out about these plans right now as he proof reads this article (English is not my first language so I always get him to double check my posts before they go live). -Note to my lovely husband: before you start worrying about how much this is going to cost, keep reading Sweetie, it won't be too much! I promise!-  I'll be going the white and teal route so that it matches our home decor and I'll be DIYing as much as possible but because I have an active toddler and that means very little spare time and not much available brain power left, all these projects will be quick and easy to do. So stay tuned for future posts in this series! (Pssst If you want to keep up to date with the latest news on Life in Eight make sure to subscribe to my newsletter from the sidebar or why not join me on Instagram, Facebook or Twitter)

Today's Christmas decor project is as easy peasy as it can be; you just need to go for a walk with the family somewhere with plenty of trees. Told you it was easy! The idea is to pick up some pretty branches to put in a vase and decorate them with some inexpensive baubles. Make sure the branches are not too straight or thin/ thick, just sturdy enough to support the weight of the baubles and a little curved. They also need to be a "quirky" to make the arrangement interesting. If you have a few extra minutes (lucky you!), you could also paint the branches in white or some other colour of your choice. Arrange the branches in a vase, add some sand or pretty stones if you like (I'm yet to do this part) and hang the baubles. That's it. Done. Pretty effective decor huh?


Now, if you are loving that star as much as I am and are wondering where I got it from, you can find it - together with a massive selection of other Christmas decor items - on the UK Christmas World website. That's where the baubles and the wreath came from as well. The quality of all these items is really high.


The star is super sturdy, battery operated and comes with a neat little switch on the side.
The good thing about investing in something like this star is that you'll be able to enjoy it as part as your home decor all year around!



This wreath is even more beautiful in person. It's lovely and sparkly!

Here is another simple solution for you: if you don't have one of those metal over-the-door hooks (mine's gone all rusty!) you could use a piece of ribbon pinned to the back of the door. Sorted.



I hope you enjoyed this post and are looking forward to the next one in the series!

Gaby

This is a collaborative post.

24 comments

  1. Very simple but great ideas! I love it! - especially the baubles on the twi/branch. they look gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! What a great idea, to actually use real twigs - that will be a fun activity with my toddler to pick some. It looks so pretty. i am looking forward to the rest of your series! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love this. I change my team every year but always try diy as much as I can. Small things can make such a difference xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the simplicity of hanging baubles even without a tree! I might try that for my bedroom decor this year x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't stand it when people are like don't mention the C word, I think about Christmas all year long and can't wait for the actual time of year to come! I absolutely love your wreath, I had a cheapo budget one at my flat, but now we've got a house I really do need to invest in a proper one, one that's more Christmassy and fits right in! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh gorgeous ideas! Everything is beautiful but I particularly love the star and wreath, SO pretty! Ahhh these posts are making me so excited for christmas! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the wrath on the door, we have one very similar and it looks fab. I love the modern idea of the baubles on the the twigs thats very effective and looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Christmas and have been thinking about it for weeks now. I love the wreath on the door and have always wanted a one as I have never had a one before. The baubles on the twigs look lovely xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. White and teal sounds like a gorgeous Christmas theme! I love the star, and you're right, it would be an investment in all-year-round loveliness ;-) Great tip about using ribbon to hold the wreath too xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. White and teal is the perfect colour combination they compliment each other so well and I love the baubles. Great that it is on a budget too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Christmas is coming so quickly,so its really good to have simple tip like this and its really beautiful. Thank you for sharing it with us early :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. My decorations are well in need of a revamp and your idea is wonderfully inexpensive and I'm literally a short walk away from being able to recreate. :-) x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Firstly, you take amazing pictures! Secondly, last year I really struggled to find Christmas decorations I liked so the website you provided is awesome and I will be following your blog for more ideas xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you everyone for your lovely comments :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the color combo. Usually, I go for red and silver but this year I'm changing it to baby blue and silver because it's my first Christmas as a married woman so I wanted to change the colors to be more me and my husband (we both love the blue and silver combo).
    Your pictures gave me a lot of inspiration! Thank you! :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love Christmas. My hubby loves having a colour theme so will need to check what colours it is this year. I love the sticks, it's so easy and achievable to do with toddlers. Wish we could have a wreath but we have a plastic door so last year couldn't find a suitable hook to use

    ReplyDelete
  17. I keep thinking I want to do branches and decorate them, then I realise a) I'm too lazy to find any and b) I've no surfaces at the right heights which I could put them on.

    Yours look great. Love the star - I'm after something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Really love this, I prefer to keep things simple. Yours look so elegant, especially like the door wreath x

    ReplyDelete
  19. White christmas decorations are my favourite. There's something so magical about them. And, I'm with you, its never too early for the C-word ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Aw, beautiful decorations ! :) It's great to feel Xmas time is coming ;3 visit my blog if you want :) choose your language and check the notes :) http://blueskyylar.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Loving the white baubles! I spray-painted some branches black a couple of years ago - they're still going strong and I haul them out for Halloween and at Christmas I...wait for it... hang small baubles on them ;-) I also spotted a great battery-operated star last year, which I've just re-discovered by looking back at my blog post (!) It's a bit too "Christmassy" to have out all year round, but seeing it again in the photos has made me want to go dig it out! If you're interested, you can see what I did here: http://suzy-homemaker.co.uk/blog/entry/christmas-has-arrived-at-the-world-of-suzy-homemaker.html Hope to catch you on your Social Media channels. Sue x

    ReplyDelete


  22. If you are looking for more information on decorating the interior of your home and Wall coverings, please visit my site at: www.simplicitydesignusa.comI hope it was helpful and you were able to get something out of it.
    home decorating

    ReplyDelete

© life in eightMaira Gall